Our traditional software engineer whiteboard interview process is 2 full days.
- Each day of interview starts at 9am, breaks for lunchtime, and continues onto the evening.
- The day is broken up into several 1.5 hour sessions each led by a different software engineer.
- The 1.5 hours sessions are purely technical.
- Candidates who successfully completes the first day will be invited back for a second day of technical interviews.
We highly encourage candidates to apply through our Accelerated Take Home Exam instead. The entire technical evaluation process is only 2.5 hours, instead of 2 full days.
Whiteboard General Topics
- Binary Trees
- Linked Lists
- Dynamic programming
Why we tend not to favor whiteboard exam?
1. Algorithms do not accurate reflect real work.
When was the last time you had to implement BubbleSort or HeapSort at work? Engineering aptitude is not necessarily tested with algorithms.
2. Luck is a big factor - algorithm lottery
Some candidates are unlucky and happen to be given an algorthm they haven’t studied for or seen in a long time. There will be a lot of randomness in this process.
3. Age discrimination.
Favors young engineers and recent grads because basic computer science concepts are more recently taught in university. Algorithms also tend to favor the younger mind as well.
4. More time consuming for everyone.
The entire process is 2 full days, which is much longer than our Accelerated Take Home Exam.
5. Longer preparation time.
Candidates will need to memorize and review algorithms. This is a lot of unnecessary extra work that won’t be relevant to your day-to-day job.